The Children’s Society East is looking for volunteers
Do you have the passion to assist us to make a difference for children and young people and want to gain valuable experience within this sector? We are seeking volunteers to take on varied roles.
Volunteers support the professional staff team at The Children’s Society East in the delivery of services, ensuring that children, young people and their families/carers receive appropriate information and services that enable them to make good choices and live safely in their communities.
For more details on the role please see the description below:
- To assist with the development of parts of the provision for children and young people that meets their needs and is in accordance with current legislation and good practice guidelines.
- To support children, young people and families to develop skills, knowledge and self-confidence to enable them to respond to issues that affect them.
- To support and assist staff with key activities being run by The Children’s Society East across the county of Essex.
- To participate in partnership and network with relevant voluntary and statutory agencies to ensure the project’s profile and development locally / nationally, through regular communication and good working relationships.
- To raise awareness of issues concerning children, young people and families.
- To share information to further the support of children and young people with their parents / carers and relevant agencies taking care to adhere to project confidential protocols so that they are protected for harm.
- To contribute to the administration of the project by undertaking tasks that support effective delivery of services.
- Experience of working with young people would be an advantage. Ability to engage and develop positive relationships with young people and families.
Work based knowledge
- An awareness of the factors that contribute to young people’s involvement in substance use or misuse.
- A basic understanding of substances or a willingness to learn.
- An awareness of the factors that contribute to young people’s risky behaviour.
- To have good communication skills.
- Ability to use own initiative and problem solving skills where appropriate.
In order to be successful in this role you will be able to demonstrate that you have the ability to:
- Understand the issues and concerns faced by children, young people and families/carers affected by substance use or misuse and other issues and to respond to these competently and effectively.
- Empathise with children, young people and families and to use tact, sensitivity and give the support that is needed to build good relationships with all young people as well as internal and external stakeholders.
- Communicate clearly verbally and through written work in a creative way that uses language that will be understood by all recipients.
- Be committed to work to a high standard that is set within clear and agreed boundaries that enable them to meet project and organisation targets.
- Work by yourself to identify and resolve problems quickly while acknowledging when to seek support from others for their own development. Can use and manage own time efficiently.
- Continually strive to use project’s resources in the most efficient and appropriate manner.
- Co-operate well with team leader and colleagues and responds positively to suggestions and feedback.
What we can offer you
- A full induction to your role and The Children’s Society
- On-going support and guidance from your volunteer manager
- Training and access to a broad range of e-learning
- The ability to get involved in other opportunities
- A reference once you have been involved with us for a period of time
- Reimbursement of reasonable expenses
- Safeguarding training
- Health and safety training
If you are interested in volunteering please click this link to download the application form. Thank you for your interest.
Although our volunteering roles and volunteer mentor roles are advertised separately if you would like to experience both opportunities please just fill out one application and state that you are interested in both roles.
Completed forms should be sent for the attention of:
The Children's Society East
114 Springfield Road